creating caves

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

Tim

creating caves

Post by Tim »

i apologize if the is the wrong section of the forum for this but i need information on how to save my work.arno says i need to save them to .d64 format but i have no idea how this is done.

any help is appreciated,thx.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

It depends on what you are about to do exactly. D64 is a 1541 disk image. If you are about to spread your complete Boulder Dash game online, it is a good idea to use a D64 image, since the highscores can be saved into it on C64 emulators.

For "creating caves", though. You can save them wherever you like. It has to be addressable with the device number 8 and drive 0, though, as current construction kits only use that.

For creating a D64 file in an emulator, just select "create new disk" or something similar and select "D64". If you are copying your files from a real C64 drive, your copy software should be able to create a D64 file, too.
If you already have your game on a PC, you can use C64copy to copy it into a D64 file.
Tim

Post by Tim »

thats what im trying to do-make a whole game,i have two caves which i have pics of but i dont know how to save each to my computer.

i dont understand the 1541 thing youre talking about.thats all i need to know is how to save my work and then when its all complete ill release them for everyone whos interested in trying them.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

No one could help you, if you don't tell us what software and hardware you use.
If you are new to C64 Boulder Dash, you might try VICE and the CLCK.
Here you have a 1581 image of CLCK: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/CLCKBETA1581.ZIP
Get VICE here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... E-1.22.zip
And here is a tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzcfnEmrUj4
About the old hardware (which is emulated in VICE), here is a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Commodore_64
Tim

Post by Tim »

oh...im using the ccs64 emulator,sorry about that,i keep thinking this is the lemon 64 forum.i also have the q64 software i think its called.it was all in a d/led package through a torrent except the q64.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Tim wrote:i also have the q64 software
Never heard of it.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Did you already succeed to create caves in the Construction Kit? Or the CLKC? And was it the "save" feature that didn't work properly?

Or are you still seeking for a good construction kit?

At which point in the process does your problem occur?
Last edited by Arno on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

it wouldnt let me save,i type in a name for it and press enter and nothing happens...is there a site i can d/l another version of the CK?

did you recieve the pic i sent you, arno,of the one cave i did?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Tim wrote:it wouldnt let me save,i type in a name for it and press enter and nothing happens...is there a site i can d/l another version of the CK?
Downloads of originals are not permitted here! :wink:
Anyway, what exactly happens after you press enter to save:
- The CK crashes?
- You get an error message?
- You go back to the menu? In this case you should check whether the cave file is present on your disk image. Sometimes you must first re-attach the image before the file is visible in your emulator.
Tim wrote:did you recieve the pic i sent you, arno,of the one cave i did?
Yep, looks good :D Just don't forget to adjust the colors of each cave!