The Probe

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

So has anyone here tried The Probe yet?

How about you subotai? :D
subotai

Post by subotai »

paul_nicholls wrote:So has anyone here tried The Probe yet? How about you subotai?
Of course I did. I already wanted to answer, but I didn't have much time to test it (many pre-christmas parties ;-) ). Thanks for the upload!

I like the game. The scrolling is pretty smooth and the graphical effects are very nice (transparent acid with bubbles, laser beam, effect when collecting diamonds, etc.). I also like the elements.

I remarked the following things:
When you use the editor and set more than one player, the first scanned player (probe) always gets the focus. But as you can only use one player for the moment, it doesn't make sense that a static element gets the focus for the scrolling. I would also disable the scrolling when you loose a life. Otherwise, the screen scrolls to the upper left.

The gamepad conrol works good, as long as I don't use the analog stick of my gamepad. When releasing the analog stick, the player keeps moving.

Code: Select all

Const 
  JOYAXIS_MAXVAL=25000;
IF Y<-JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_Up else
IF Y>JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_down else
IF X<-JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_left else
IF X>JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_right;
If I have time, I will try to build some levels.

P.S. : It's really very quit around here. Many silent readers ;-)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:
paul_nicholls wrote:So has anyone here tried The Probe yet? How about you subotai?
Of course I did. I already wanted to answer, but I didn't have much time to test it (many pre-christmas parties ;-) ). Thanks for the upload!
LOL No worries, I was just curious if anyone had tried it yet :)
Ahh...pre-christmas parties...HIC! hahaha...just kidding!
subotai wrote:I like the game. The scrolling is pretty smooth and the graphical effects are very nice (transparent acid with bubbles, laser beam, effect when collecting diamonds, etc.). I also like the elements.
Thanks for the kind words mate! I'm glad you like it :D
subotai wrote:I remarked the following things:
When you use the editor and set more than one player, the first scanned player (probe) always gets the focus. But as you can only use one player for the moment, it doesn't make sense that a static element gets the focus for the scrolling.
Ah yeah, I need to change it so the editor can't put more than one Probe, or TLS emitter/receiver in the levels as that doesn't make much sense in the game as it stands :) Thanks for pointing that out!
subotai wrote:I would also disable the scrolling when you loose a life. Otherwise, the screen scrolls to the upper left.
I have actually fixed that glitch now, it will be in the next update :)
subotai wrote:The gamepad conrol works good, as long as I don't use the analog stick of my gamepad. When releasing the analog stick, the player keeps moving.

Const 
  JOYAXIS_MAXVAL=25000;
IF Y<-JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_Up else
IF Y>JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_down else
IF X<-JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_left else
IF X>JOYAXIS_MAXVAL then Move_right;
hmm...interesting, I don't have an analog stick controller to test it with, only a digital joystick and game pad...

I have similar code with my gamepad control input too, so I am unsure why it keeps the player moving yet...thanks for finding out that bug :)

procedure TTheProbe.GetPlayerInput;
var
  xpos,ypos,zpos: LongInt;
begin
  FProbeEngine.MoveUp    := xeEngine.Window.KeyIsDown(FConfiguration.Controls[GameKey_MoveUp]);
  FProbeEngine.MoveDown  := xeEngine.Window.KeyIsDown(FConfiguration.Controls[GameKey_MoveDown]);
  FProbeEngine.MoveLeft  := xeEngine.Window.KeyIsDown(FConfiguration.Controls[GameKey_MoveLeft]);
  FProbeEngine.MoveRight := xeEngine.Window.KeyIsDown(FConfiguration.Controls[GameKey_MoveRight]);
  FProbeEngine.Firing    := PlayerFiring;

if FConfiguration.JoystickEnabled and (xeEngine.Window.GetGameControllersCount > 0) then
  begin
    xeEngine.Window.GetGameControllerXYZPositions(cDefaultGameController,xpos,ypos,zpos);

if not FProbeEngine.MoveUp and (ypos < -cMinControlMovement) then
      FProbeEngine.MoveUp := True;

if not FProbeEngine.MoveDown and (ypos > +cMinControlMovement) then
      FProbeEngine.MoveDown := True;

if not FProbeEngine.MoveLeft and (xpos < -cMinControlMovement) then
      FProbeEngine.MoveLeft := True;

if not FProbeEngine.MoveRight and (xpos > +cMinControlMovement) then
      FProbeEngine.MoveRight := True;
  end;
end;
subotai wrote:If I have time, I will try to build some levels.
ok, cool...I am interested in what you come up with :)

BTW, links going from a vortex or teleporter don't actually have to point to another another vortex/teleporter when building levels...that is just usually what I have done when using them :)
subotai wrote:P.S. : It's really very quit around here. Many silent readers ;-)
It is rather quiet...I guess it is that time of year :)

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

paul_nicholls wrote:Ahh...pre-christmas parties...HIC! hahaha...just kidding!
bull's eye :lol:
paul_nicholls wrote:I have similar code with my gamepad control input too, so I am unsure why it keeps the player moving yet...thanks for finding out that bug
If you use a control pad, the values of the axis X/Y are always set to -1, when you release the control pad. The maximum values are about +/-32000. If you use an analog stick, these values are often higher/lower when you realease the analog stick (about +/-500 or even higher, not always -1). I think that the stick is not always in center position when you release it. Well, I don't know if these values differ with different gamepads/joysticks. I'm using the rumblepad II. Setting the minimum value of the axis to 25000 was just a guess. I think it can also be a bit lower, but should be about 20000.

Just increase the value of the following variable and it should work:

cMinControlMovement //about 20000..25000
Don't worry, I can test it for you :-)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:
paul_nicholls wrote:Ahh...pre-christmas parties...HIC! hahaha...just kidding!
bull's eye :lol:
paul_nicholls wrote:I have similar code with my gamepad control input too, so I am unsure why it keeps the player moving yet...thanks for finding out that bug
If you use a control pad, the values of the axis X/Y are always set to -1, when you release the control pad. The maximum values are about +/-32000. If you use an analog stick, these values are often higher/lower when you realease the analog stick (about +/-500 or even higher, not always -1). I think that the stick is not always in center position when you release it. Well, I don't know if these values differ with different gamepads/joysticks. I'm using the rumblepad II. Setting the minimum value of the axis to 25000 was just a guess. I think it can also be a bit lower, but should be about 20000.

Just increase the value of the following variable and it should work:

cMinControlMovement //about 20000..25000
Don't worry, I can test it for you :-)
Ah, ok...this is what my current value is right now:

cMinControlMovement     = 200;
I will adjust it like you suggested and hopefully it will work for you when I release the next update...thanks!

EDIT: just so you know, 20000 works for me with my gamepad so hopefully all will be good for you too :)
subotai

Post by subotai »

SDL Documentation wrote:Structure Definition:
TSDL_JoyAxisEvent = record
type_: UInt8; // SDL_JOYAXISMOTION
which: UInt8; // The joystick device index
axis: UInt8; // The joystick axis index
value: Sint16; // The axis value (range: -32768 to 32767)
end;
The ranges for my gamepads:

first gamepad:
-32513..+32506 (for both axis)
second gamepad:
-32513..+32767 (for both axis)
paul_nicholls wrote:just so you know, 20000 works for me with my gamepad so hopefully all will be good for you too
Can you play my game with your gamepad? I use 25000, but 20000 also works fine.

BTW: There is a "testjoystick" demo in the SDL subfolder "demos\2d\SDLTests".
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

I hadn't tried your game with the gamepad yet, I will try it ASAP (will have to be tonight when I get home from work).

Thanks for the SDL info, and luckily I am using SDL behind the scenes in my cross-platform engine I made for The Probe :)