Help needed for Deluxe Dash 1

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Help needed for Deluxe Dash 1

Post by Arno »

I got an email from a BD fan who got stuck in Deluxe Dash 1, the first cave.
The problem is how to pass the stones.
I've tried myself and I didn't manage so far either. It looks like you have to do something with the bomb, but this bomb seems not collectable...
Anyone who can help?
Piter

Post by Piter »

Hey Arno,

any link to download Deluxe Dash 1?

Best, Peter
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Piter

Post by Piter »

Thank you! I'll try it this evening :)

EDIT: I've spent some time and didn't find the solution. The best I could manage was situation with only one boulder blocking the way.

I also couldn't pick up the bomb. Moreover, I think that it isn't supposed to be picked up. If I was able to do this - there wouldn't be any puzzle with these boulders ;) Maybe it can be somehow detonated?? But how? Or maybe it's just a decoration....

I have no idea. I give up for now.

BTW. some time ago here on forum was a topic with tricky BD Puzzles - it seems that this level qualifies as puzzle no. 11 ;)

Best, Peter.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

OK, the guy who asked me the question has managed to finish cave 1.
He sent me the solution in GDash replay format, and you can download it here!

Thanks for the effort Mariusz! :)
Piter

Post by Piter »

Arno, thanks for posting! I've just watched this recorded demo and I must admit that this cave is really tricky :)

What is worth saying - now we know that this mysterious bomb is really a dummy. Moreover, time is definitely not on your side on this one - I mean this funnel of boulders with slime. When I tried to finish this cave this evening and managed to pass through this boulders puzzle, fireflies, and so on - I've found myself finally locked by the expanding wall. I wasn't fast enough :D

Yeah. Definitely great and tricky cave.

Best, Peter.
subotai

Post by subotai »

Thanks for the solution. I used a similar strategy, but gave up after one hour without success.
piter wrote:What is worth saying - now we know that this mysterious bomb is really a dummy.
Yep, the author just exchanged some graphics and changed the graphics pointer to the voodoo doll. In fact, it is only a voodoo doll (dummy) that looks like a bomb. But I also tried to pick up the "bomb" in my first attempt ;-)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

subotai wrote:Yep, the author just exchanged some graphics and changed the graphics pointer to the voodoo doll.
Indeed. That was the game I originally drew the bomb graphic for. The pointer wasn't changed by me, though. All No One Packer 5.3 games did this, iIrc. Deluxe Packer 1.5x still has this, but as an option, since the disadvantage of these modified pointers is, that Rockford puts his arms in his hips all the time.

The idea of a real bomb didn't came up before First Boulder Dash, and I reused this graphic for it, since I didn't like the original bomb graphic there.
subotai

Post by subotai »

LogicDeLuxe wrote: The pointer wasn't changed by me, though. All No One Packer 5.3 games did this, iIrc. Deluxe Packer 1.5x still has this, but as an option, since the disadvantage of these modified pointers is, that Rockford puts his arms in his hips all the time.
Thanks. Very interesting. I didn't think about that.