Help using CLCK - packing caves

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

ataraxy2

Help using CLCK - packing caves

Post by ataraxy2 »

I'm struggling with the title screen and I'll get the intro screen done soon (my keyboard is "emulating a C64 keyboard" which is what really confuses me there so I don't know how to go up lines, delete, insert etc. etc.). But what's worst of all, when I try to pack my caves and load the cavepack to save the caves it tells me there isn't enough room on disk (what is the point telling me that I can't do something that it says it can - I must be missing something here...).

I really suck at using CLCK besides the editor. Massive help needed. I've made 25 caves and I'll probably make more by the time I can use the goddamn thing. =[

All help is appreciated. Thanks. :(

Edit: I just looked and saw a file "ataraxy001fi" that takes up 150 blocks, I've tried deleting it but it's unselectable...

Edit2: Ugh... I keep noticing things I didn't before. The version is actually Crazy Light beta 5, or something like that (05082006) - I could not find CLCK 3.0 for download.
Last edited by ataraxy2 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
LogicDeLuxe

Re: Help using CLCK - packing caves

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ataraxy2 wrote:I'm struggling with the title screen and I'll get the intro screen done soon (my keyboard is "emulating a C64 keyboard" which is what really confuses me there so I don't know how to go up lines, delete, insert etc. etc.).
The emulator's manual is the only place you can find help on this
But what's worst of all, when I try to pack my caves and load the cavepack to save the caves it tells me there isn't enough room on disk (what is the point telling me that I can't do something that it says it can - I must be missing something here...).
If there is not enough room, you can either delete some files you don't need anymore, or create a second disk image and save it there. If you are using VICE, you can also use a 1581 disk image, which is significantly larger than a 1541 disk side.
I really suck at using CLCK besides the editor. Massive help needed. I've made 25 caves and I'll probably make more by the time I can use the goddamn thing. =[
That's a good idea. :)
I just looked and saw a file "ataraxy001fi" that takes up 150 blocks, I've tried deleting it but it's unselectable...
Use the "send command" menu and type the following:
s:ataraxy001fi
Not only are such commands listed in the drive's manual, but also in the CLCK manual btw..
Ugh... I keep noticing things I didn't before. The version is actually Crazy Light beta 5, or something like that (05082006) - I could not find CLCK 3.0 for download.
That's right. It's not quite final at the moment. Non of your problems is related to that, though.
ataraxy2

Post by ataraxy2 »

The emulator's manual is the only place you can find help on this
Thank god. =] (right, just read the manual and changing the settings does not do a thing considering it refuses to change my mapping to Symbolic US).
If you are using VICE, you can also use a 1581 disk image, which is significantly larger than a 1541 disk side.
Right, just read the manual to see how to do this and it didn't help at all, I have no idea where to look in it.
That's a good idea. :)
I know, but until I can figure this mumble jumbo out I'm messing around with Boulder Remake (which I probably ultimatly will anyway, once I can figure out how to set the colour of the dirt in BR - this is so I can organise the caves using difficulty, rather than making many of them on A, and having to copy - paste to the higher letters (which untimately results in a lot of a certain colour - can't find a manual for this one :wink: although from the looks of this situation I'm probably AGAIN missing something =/).
Not only are such commands listed in the drive's manual, but also in the CLCK manual btw..
I've actually already tried that. It was 2 AM when the file appeared (of which I obviously made it somehow, trying to make the cavepack) so I have no idea what the hell I did, but I've now considered that it might not be the full-name =/ I've guessed a little, but still so far: 00, ok,00 ,00. So that's a problem I've created for myself... anyway to possibly see the fullname of what's in the directory.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ataraxy2 wrote:
If you are using VICE, you can also use a 1581
disk image, which is significantly larger than a 1541 disk side.
Right, just read the manual to see how to do this and it didn't help at all, I have no idea where to look in it.
For c64 file management, I highly recommend 64copy. With that, it's easy deleting files from an image and also copying the content of your d64 image to a d81 image.
In VICE, disk drive emulation can be disabled since CLCK limits itself to standard commands in order to work with all kind of drives.
With disk drive emulation disabled, you can load from a d81 file just the same way you do it with a d64 file. If you need disk drive emulation for some reason, you have to select 1581 as the disk drive, of course.
I know, but until I can figure this mumble jumbo out I'm messing around with Boulder Remake (which I probably ultimatly will anyway, once I can figure out how to set the colour of the dirt in BR - this is so I can organise the caves using difficulty, rather than making many of them on A, and having to copy - paste to the higher letters (which untimately results in a lot of a certain colour - can't find a manual for this one :wink: although from the looks of this situation I'm probably AGAIN missing something =/).
AfaIk, the colors are hard coded.
I guess you have to wait for Crazy Dream PC for such a feature. Though as the goal is maximum C64 compatibility, C64 color schemes will be coded first.

I've actually already tried that. It was 2 AM when the file appeared (of which I obviously made it somehow, trying to make the cavepack) so I have no idea what the hell I did, but I've now considered that it might not be the full-name =/ I've guessed a little, but still so far: 00, ok,00 ,00. So that's a problem I've created for myself... anyway to possibly see the fullname of what's in the directory.
If it contains some illegal characters, you will have to use a disk editor (just delete it with 64copy for example). If there are quotes within the file name, just ignore everything from the first quote on. Despite it is shown in the directory, it is not handled as part of the file name in CBM-DOS.
ataraxy2

Post by ataraxy2 »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:For c64 file management, I highly recommend 64copy. With that, it's easy deleting files from an image and also copying the content of your d64 image to a d81 image.
Thank you :D - downloading and checking that out now.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:AfaIk, the colors are hard coded.
I guess you have to wait for Crazy Dream PC for such a feature. Though as the goal is maximum C64 compatibility, C64 color schemes will be coded first.
Ah well, until the new release of BR... besides I have CLCK for that then. =] In which I've noticed you can convert to BR format anyway (from browsing this forum) >;] (which if I figure this out (thanks for the help by the way) I'll be all set to go! (not too interested in the ability to have A/1, A/2, A/3 etc etc anyway).

LogicDeLuxe wrote:If it contains some illegal characters, you will have to use a disk editor (just delete it with 64copy for example). If there are quotes within the file name, just ignore everything from the first quote on. Despite it is shown in the directory, it is not handled as part of the file name in CBM-DOS.
Right, thanks. Checking this all out now!

BTW: I am not computer illiterate but I am hopeless with VICE :oops:

Edit: posted some more question via private messaging that at first didn't seem worth putting up here, but perhaps someone will come along to these forums who doesn't know jack about all this as well.
ataraxy2 - private message 'One more question, one final, final question.' wrote:You're probably sick of me now. But I must must finish this, I've come so far! How do I use the Fast Crunch / Cruel your manual is incomplete and does not cover it.

Have no clue what the hex values mean. But looking at this guide :Link: and opening the Final Super Compressor and presuming those numbers are to go where it says they go and doing so. When it says to load the source do I browse to the CLCK and load my cavepack? And when it says to attach the image destination disk, I create an image and then select it no? Do I need to attach these to Device #9, #10 or #11. Or all on Device #8? I can't seem to do anything correctly with this goddamn thing. Considering this didn't seem to work.
LogicDeLuxe - private message 'Re: One more question, one final, final question.' wrote:
ataraxy2 wrote:How do I use the Fast Crunch / Cruel your manual is incomplete and does not cover it.

Have no clue what the hex values mean. But looking at this guide :Link: and opening the Final Super Compressor and presuming those numbers are to go where it says they go and doing so.
Forget the numbers in that guide. They are for the No One Packer 5.x/Deluxepacker 1.x only. When using the "LINK GAME 3.0"-tool, it will tell you the numbers you need. When using the Final Super Compressor, you need the numbers which are shown in parentheses. For Fast Cruel, use the hex numbers. Fast Cruel is more efficient, but takes a few minutes longer to finish the job. In the emulator, you can use warp mode while waiting, of course.
When it says to load the source do I browse to the CLCK and load my cavepack?
You load the file you saved with the Link Game tool.
And when it says to attach the image destination disk, I create an image and then select it no?
Now, as you are using a 1581 disk, you can do all the work on one image. There is no need to change them.
Do I need to attach these to Device #9, #10 or #11. Or all on Device #8?
Use drive 8 only. Some tools might suggest working with other device numbers as well, but this isn't tested well and probably rather buggy.

Btw. Why don't you post this in the thread you have started, so everyone will benefit from it?
ataraxy2 - private message 'Re: One more question, one final, final question' wrote:
LogicDeLuxe wrote: Btw. Why don't you post this in the thread you have started, so everyone will benefit from it?
Because most of my questions are n00b questions. Everyone else on the forums knows everything about anything to do with Boulder Dash, it wouldn't help anyone (could you add this to your manual however?).
ataraxy2 - private message 'Re: One more question, one final, final question' wrote:
LogicDeLuxe wrote:When using the "LINK GAME 3.0"-tool, it will tell you the numbers you need. When using the Final Super Compressor, you need the numbers which are shown in parentheses. For Fast Cruel, use the hex numbers. Fast Cruel is more efficient, but takes a few minutes longer to finish the job. In the emulator, you can use warp mode while waiting, of course.
You load the file you saved with the Link Game tool.
Okay so done both of them, and ended up with files around 79 blocks in size for the Fast Cruel, and 102 for the Final Super Compressor. However when the Final Super Compressor finishes crunching it cuts to the (Ready... run - Load"*",8,1 screen). Seems normal, I try to load up the file it created and I get a blank screen (and some gibberish on the load).

With the Fast Cruel it said "Saving. Press space to save again!" and that's where it ended. When I tried loading the file Fast Cruel made I got gibberish and then a blank screen again. I entered the information in both of the compressors/crunchers (hex for Fast Cruel and the numbers in the brackets for Super Compressor).
Now, as you are using a 1581 disk, you can do all the work on one image. There is no need to change them.
And I didn't. I let it run, I never touched anything outside of the disk on the emulator.
Btw. Why don't you post this in the thread you have started, so everyone will benefit from it?
I'm will now, I'm getting frustrated over this and if anyone just as new to this comes here they'll find it very useful.
LogicDeLuxe - private message 'Re: One more question, one final, final question' wrote:
ataraxy2 wrote:Okay so done both of them, and ended up with files around 79 blocks in size for the Fast Cruel, and 102 for the Final Super Compressor. However when the Final Super Compressor finishes crunching it cuts to the (Ready... run - Load"*",8,1 screen). Seems normal, I try to load up the file it created and I get a blank screen (and some gibberish on the load).

With the Fast Cruel it said "Saving. Press space to save again!" and that's where it ended. When I tried loading the file Fast Cruel made I got gibberish and then a blank screen again. I entered the information in both of the compressors/crunchers (hex for Fast Cruel and the numbers in the brackets for Super Compressor).
In the Link-Tool only the intro screen is optional. Did you load at least the graphics (eg. EN-ORIGINAL), your title screen and your cavepack? Especially when there are no graphics loaded, you won't see much.

If you might send me the image, I could also take a look at it and tell if there is anything wrong.

And I know, the manual is still incomplete and also needs a translation. It will be done in the final version.
Awesome. Finally packed and ready to go. =P