Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index Boulder Dash Forum
The only Boulder Dash discussion board in English language!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jewel Rush - quasi-Boulder Dash clone
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index -> Games: Remakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CWS
Member


Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Posts: 382
Location: Austria - Europe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your game is really nice! Only one thing: Could you please use softscrolling and only scroll the playfield as soon as the player is nearing a border? The scrolling you are using now is really hurting my eyes! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjm
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWS wrote:
Your game is really nice! Only one thing: Could you please use softscrolling and only scroll the playfield as soon as the player is nearing a border? The scrolling you are using now is really hurting my eyes! Wink


Thanks for the feedback! If by softscrolling you mean smooth scrolling, then yes, this is something I'm still trying to do, the currently implementation is... unstable. I'll tinker the offset before scrolling begins as well.

Thanks again!
Richard Moss
_________________
Jewel Rush - http://binaryrealms.co.uk/jewel-rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
subotai
Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your implementation of the scrolling? Are you using a timebased movement or delay values? A timebased movement is the better choice!

The implementation is not very complicated: Scrolling starts when the player gets close to the screen border and ends, when the player is "centered" again. The scrolling speed can always remain the same. But for the smooth scrolling issue, it shouldn't make any difference if the scrolling speed is constant or variable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjm
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2009
Posts: 16
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subotai wrote:
How is your implementation of the scrolling? Are you using a timebased movement or delay values? A timebased movement is the better choice!

The implementation is not very complicated: Scrolling starts when the player gets close to the screen border and ends, when the player is "centered" again. The scrolling speed can always remain the same. But for the smooth scrolling issue, it shouldn't make any difference if the scrolling speed is constant or variable.


It's time based - back when I last wrote games in DOS I used to rely on machine speed and basically use delays but that wouldn't work with the variety of hardware available today (probably didn't back then, but it was OK on all the 286 machines I had access to!). Everything in my engine is time based so that in theory it should run the same on all machines. Unless their system clocks are dodgy I suppose Wink

I'm actually updating on one of the test projects I did for ensuring various aspects of my engine work to properly test scrolling without the game itself getting in my way. However, when checking how I implemented smooth scrolling tonight I've see that I did it in a very silly way, although in fairness I was missing a piece of the puzzle when I did that first draft and forgot to go back to it. Still, it's wrong. And games are supposed to be fun to play, not eye strain inducing!

The good news is that it should be quite simple to correct (I think it involves deleting a large swath of code and replacing it with one, maybe two lines Shocked). Perhaps a little more complicated that that as I haven't implemented the way you describe (ie continuing to scroll until back in the center), but it can't be that complicated!

Thanks for the comments, helpful as always!
_________________
Jewel Rush - http://binaryrealms.co.uk/jewel-rush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
subotai
Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjm wrote:
It's time based - back when I last wrote games in DOS I used to rely on machine speed and basically use delays but that wouldn't work with the variety of hardware available today (probably didn't back then, but it was OK on all the 286 machines I had access to!).

Well, I'm just asking, because if you are using OpenGL in combination with timebased movement, smooth scrolling should be no problem. O.k., I'm using Dephi, but OpenGL remains OpenGL. Here is my implementation:
Code:
IF QPC_Old=-1 then
    QueryPerformanceCounter(QPC_Old) else
    QPC_Old:=QPC_New;
...
//Scrolling:
CoordX:=CoordX+ScrollSpeed*TimeFactor //Scroll to the right
...
Render;
...
QueryPerformanceFrequency(QPC_Freq);
QueryPerformanceCounter(QPC_New);
TimeFactor := (QPC_New-QPC_Old) / QPC_Freq;

... and I have no trouble with smooth scrolling. As already mentioned: There is no need to "adjust" the ScrollSpeed (just keep it constant).

rjm wrote:
Perhaps a little more complicated that that as I haven't implemented the way you describe (ie continuing to scroll until back in the center), but it can't be that complicated!

The scrolling routine was also much more complicated in my old implementation.
rjm wrote:
Thanks for the comments, helpful as always!

You're welcome. I try my best Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index -> Games: Remakes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group